Position: Firefighter/Paramedic (Part Time)
Position: Firefighter/Paramedic (Part Time)
Starting Salary: $16.00
Posting Date: 2/5/2018
Closing Date: 3/5/2018
**This advertisement is intended for applicants who currently hold a current and valid South Carolina Paramedic certificate, or current National Registry Paramedic certification that must be good for at least 12 months from the date of hire or must show enough training hours for recertify AND who is a certified Firefighter in South Carolina or holds IFSAC or ProBoard Fire Certifications if out of state.
**Must have the ability to work in all weather conditions and work 24-hour shifts. One (1) 24 hour shift is required per week.
General Job Description
Under general supervision and the direction of the Chief of Fire Rescue, respond to emergency or medical emergency and non-emergency incidents promptly and actively carries out the tasks required to perform emergency operations and functions. Tasks include but are not limited to firefighting, rescue operations, medical care, and hazardous materials mitigation. Must work in all weather conditions, work 24-hour shifts, and willing to work overtime.
Under general supervision, the successful candidate will be expected to carry out the tasks required to perform the functions associated with emergency operations. Tasks include, but are not limited to: paramedic (provide pre-hospital care to the level of EMT-P), firefighting (entering an immediately dangerous to life or health atmosphere, wearing a full-face respirator, working in extreme environmental conditions, wearing heavy and bulky personal protective equipment, engaging in rigorous physical activity, using specialized tools and equipment), technical rescue operations, and dealing with hazardous materials incidents. Other tasks involve public interaction while assisting in fire prevention & fire education activities, routine station & equipment maintenance and house-keeping duties.
Candidates will be expected to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere, be able to receive, understand and carry out orders (both verbal & written), communicate well, project a professional image, maintain a physical fitness level commensurate to the requirements of the job, possess good interpersonal relationship skills and maintain their composure in emergency situations.
Duties for this Position
· Respond in an E-911 Fire, Rescue and Emergency Medical Services system to emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
· Determine and provide basic and/or advanced emergency medical treatment as necessary according to established protocols using appropriate medical equipment and supplies.
· Perform fire suppression duties including laying and connecting hoses; hold and direct a variety of suppression, and operate chemical fire extinguishers, raise and climb ground ladders.
· Make forcible entry into buildings, search and rescue, and control traffic around emergency sites as necessary.
· Secure fire sites from rekindles through proper salvage and overhaul techniques.
· Assist Fire Investigators in investigating fire cause and origin, debris removal and preservation of evidence.
· Ventilate buildings and conduct overhaul, salvage and cleanup operations at site.
· Operate a variety of emergency rescue tools and equipment to extricate victims from vehicles, confined spaces, trenches, collapsed buildings, or similar situations.
· Respond to hazardous material incidents; identify the material, determine proper procedures, and mitigate the situation.
· Participate in training activities and drills related to firefighting techniques, emergency medical care, and proper use of apparatus, equipment, and tools; maintain current knowledge of firefighting and medical response techniques and department rules and regulations.
· Performs routine preventative maintenance on equipment, apparatus/vehicles, and facilities.
· Complies with all county/department policies and procedures.
· Completes records, reports and forms as required by the department and/or local, state, and Federal regulations.
· Performs fire prevention and both fire and medical education activities.
· Drives and operates emergency apparatus/vehicles.
· Reports directly to assigned supervisor.
· Performs other related duties as required.
Position Minimum Requirements
· High School diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
· Must have a valid driver’s license, if out of state must have the ability to obtain a South Carolina driver’s license.
· Must be 18 years of age.
· Must pass required pre-employment physical, background check, and psychological examination, in addition to pre-employment written examination and job performance agility test (JRAT)
· Possess a current and valid South Carolina Paramedic certificate, or current National Registry Paramedic certification (the certification must be good for at least 12 months at time of hire or show proof of continuing education hours to recertify).
· Possess a Firefighter I Certificate issued by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualification (Pro Board) accredited agency.
· Possess a Firefighter II Certificate issued by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualification (Pro Board) accredited agency.
· Associates Degree or higher education is preferred.
Interested individuals can apply at: